Most people tend to ignore treating a chipped tooth since it doesn’t hurt staying in without emergency dental treatment. This is often the case when the chip or crack isn’t large or deep enough to expose the nerves of the tooth. Although many cracked teeth don’t bring any symptoms, it’s important to seek treatment to prevent further deterioration of the teeth.
Common Causes of Chipped Teeth
The common causes of a chipped tooth are:
- Physical injuries
- Poor dental hygiene
- Excessive teeth grinding when chewing also causes chipping of the teeth
- Sudden temperatures changes
Dentists commonly treat cavities with fillings and sealants. One of the major causes of chipped teeth is tooth cavities, and research shows that ninety-one percent of Americans have dental cavities. These dental cavities often weaken the tooth’s enamel and make it susceptible to cracks.
How to Take Care of a Chipped Tooth
After you chip or break your tooth, rinse it with warm water. This will help clean your mouth and protect it from any infections. Try to find the piece that’s broke off and wrap it with something like a wet gauze. Apply pressure to the affected area of your mouth if there is bleeding. More importantly, visit a Lovett Dental Upper Kirby dentist immediately and bring the piece of the chipped tooth.
One of the ways you can take care of the tooth is by avoiding hard or crunchy foods that might cause further breakage. Additionally, you need to maintain great oral hygiene with routine teeth cleanings because broken or chipped teeth are more susceptible to more dental problems such as cavities.
Also, make regular visits to the dentist. Depending on the level of damage, the dentist may have to fix the teeth in a lengthy procedure which might take a couple of sessions. A dental filling is one of the common repairs a dentist may make if the tooth is not severely broken.
A dentist may also grind or file the tooth and replace the broken part with a dental crown or cap. This is one of the main ways of treating a chipped tooth if the broken part is large. Chipping or cracking a tooth may go unnoticed because you may not feel any pain.
The tooth’s enamel may weaken, predisposing it and your mouth to more dental problems such as gum disease. Regardless of how well you think you can take care of your chipped tooth, visit the dentist, and get the right treatment.
Chipped Tooth Treatment Services at Lovett Dental Upper Kirby
Here are a couple of treatment services for chipped teeth at Lovett Dental Upper Kirby:
- Pediatric dentistry services: These services help address the needs of children who may have chipped teeth or any dental problems. This covers children because they are at more risk of having chipped teeth, and it is our responsibility to give them healthy and happy smiles.
- Tooth extraction services: When it is impossible to save the tooth, our dentists will perform a tooth extraction and find a great replacement to maintain your smile.
- Sedation dentistry: If you are nervous or unsure about visiting the dentists, our sedation methods will help put you in a relaxed and comfortable position before beginning the treatment.
- Root canal services: These services help patients whose tooth cracks extend to the nerve or blood vessels inside the tooth. Once this happens, the tooth pulp may become diseased. Root canal procedures help save the tooth.
Fix Your Chipped Tooth Today at Lovett Dental Upper Kirby
Not treating a chipped tooth poses a serious risk to your oral health. Don’t let fear or anything else stop you from getting the right treatment for chipped teeth. Contact Lovett Dental Upper Kirby today by calling 832.780.4979.