Dental problems are easily preventable by maintaining good dental hygiene. But this is not enough and they may still occur due to various causes such as consuming too much sugar. That’s why it’s important to visit a dentist regularly for teeth cleaning and exams to avoid the onset of common dental problems.
Common Dental Problems
Knowing the frequently occurring dental problems helps you seek treatment and implement preventive measures.
Here are some of the perennial dental problems:
- Tooth decay: Tooth decay or cavities occur when plaque combines with sugar or starch to attack the tooth’s enamel. Cavities can occur in people of all ages and it is a myth that they only affect children
- Halitosis or bad breath: Most people with bad breath often have an underlying dental condition such as oral cancer, and gum disease
- Enamel erosion: This type of dental problem occurs as enamel is gradually degraded over time
- Periodontal disease: This condition refers to a condition where the gums surrounding the teeth get infected. Gum disease may lead to loss of teeth if not treated immediately
- Oral cancers: This is one of the most dangerous dental problems which often results in death if not caught early. The symptoms of oral cancer include lumps, difficulty chewing, sores, and rough areas in the mouth
Causes of Dental Problems
Avoiding certain foods or drinking certain drinks may greatly improve your dental hygiene and help you prevent many of the common dental problems. The major cause of dental problems is sugar. Sugar harms teeth especially when it combines with bacteria to form plaque.
Additionally, starch from food also causes some of the dental health problems such as tooth decay. The other cause of dental health problems is energy drinks or carbonated soft drinks. These drinks may lead to enamel degradation and may increase the risk of developing tooth cavities. Although cavities can be treated with dental fillings and sealants, you’re leaving your oral hygiene at risk.
Alcoholic drinks such as wine or beer may also cause teeth corrosion. Smoking as well is extremely dangerous for dental health and may lead to oral cancers. A weakened immune system may also lead to more dental problems. Conditions such as HIV may cause thrush or mouth sores.
It may be difficult to know whether you have great oral hygiene if you don’t visit a dentist. Many of the dental problems people experience may seem normal but they are not. Scheduling regular visits to the dentists will give you a clearer picture of what’s going on in your mouth.
Services Offered at Lovett Dental Upper Kirby
Some of the services offered at Lovett Dental Upper Kirby include:
- General dentistry services: These strive to ensure general oral hygiene and no signs of dental problems. This type of care covers the patient for life and their needs to go for routine checkups.
- Pediatric dentistry services: Children often deserve more attention and this service helps children develop good dental habits from a very young age.
- Cosmetic dentistry services: Aims at helping patients have great teeth and smiles by improving their health and functionality. This service may involve dental implants, oral surgery, and root canal therapy.
- Periodontics: Periodontal specialists diagnose, treat, and prevent various types of gum diseases.
Visit the Dentist Today
Taking good care of your mouth helps you prevent common dental problems such as tooth decay or tooth cavity. Even if you floss your teeth regularly, it is important to have routine checkups with a dentist. Don’t let easily preventable dental problems disrupt your life. Contact Lovett Dental Upper Kirby by calling 832.780.4979 and let us take care of your oral health.