The most common cause of many dental visits is dental emergencies. But what is a dental emergency? In most cases, it includes severe pain, sudden swelling, excessive bleeding, and the loss of a tooth or teeth.
If you’re experiencing a dental emergency, it is critical to find treatment as soon as possible. If you’re wondering whether your situation constitutes a dental emergency or you need to make an appointment, please contact Lovett Dental Upper Kirby today at 832.780.4979.
What Is a Dental Emergency and How Do You Treat It?
Accidents happen all the time, but knowing what to do when they occur is important. When you have a dental emergency, how you react could be the difference between losing and saving your tooth. The first thing you should do is to remain calm. If your tooth or teeth has been completely knocked out, collect it, clean it, and try to put it back into the socket. Make sure you don’t touch the root. You could also place the tooth or teeth in milk or between your cheeks and gums. After doing this, visit your Lovett Dental Upper Kirby general dentist for emergency dental services.
If the dental emergency is the cracking of a tooth, rinse your mouth with warm water to kill germs and place some ice on the affected side of your mouth to prevent swelling. If you happen to bite your tongue by accident, wash thoroughly with warm water and try to control the bleeding by maintaining pressure on the affected area. If you get an instrument stuck in your mouth or teeth, don’t try to remove it using sharp objects. Visit a Lovett Dental Upper Kirby dentist and let them take it from there.
There is a wide array of additional dental emergencies, including:
- Swollen gums
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Severe dental pain
- Bleeding in your mouth that lasts more than 10 minutes
The number of dental emergencies is endless. But the important thing to remember is to stay calm and visit the dentist’s office.
Precautions for Avoiding Dental Emergencies
Although accidents are unavoidable, you can take measures to protect your teeth or mouth from injury. Here are a couple of things you can do to avoid knowing what a dental emergency is:
- Have a mouthguard on when engaging in risky sports such as football
- Use scissors to cut or open things, not your teeth
- Maintain good oral hygiene by visiting the dentist for regular teeth cleanings
- Avoid chewing or eating hard foods or candy as they might crack or break your teeth
- Protect your mouth at all times and avoid situations or events that could lead to dental emergencies
According to the American Dental Association, the number of dental visits in the United States doubled from approximately 1.1 million to 2.1 million in ten years. If even after taking all these precautions, a dental emergency still occurs, visit the Lovett Dental Upper Kirby office and explain what has happened. Don’t stay at home as this may expose you to more risks or worsen your current condition. Knowing what is a dental emergency and what isn’t is very important. This is because it helps you know how to react in both scenarios.
Services for Treating Dental Emergencies at Lovett Dental Upper Kirby
Here are some of the services for treating dental emergencies offered by Lovett Dental Upper Kirby:
- Root canal treatment: This type of service is suitable for patients who’ve suffered dental emergencies involving the nerves and blood vessels inside the tooth.
- Tooth extraction services: This focuses on smoothly extracting the affected tooth. The dentist will also look for a great replacement fit to ensure you don’t lose your smile.
- Sedation dentistry: Sometimes, the patient may be too anxious or afraid of the whole experience or may be in too much pain. These services help patients get the care they need by putting them in a relaxed state. The dentist may administer nitrous oxide or oral sedation.
- Gums or periodontics services: The periodontist at the facility will take great care of your gums and use the latest techniques to diagnose and treat any gum disease.
Fix Dental Emergencies at Lovett Dental Upper Kirby
Knowing what is a dental emergency helps you and your loved ones know when to visit the dentist. Don’t let dental emergencies be the only time you see a dentist’s office. Contact Lovett Dental Upper Kirby at 832.780.4979 and let us walk you through every dental emergency.